White Bean, Caramelized Onion, and Vegan Sausage Pizza
Yields 2 pizzas, serving 3-4 people
– 2 pizza rounds (I like to use 1/2 of this recipe.)
– Cornmeal for sprinkling
– 2 teaspoons olive oil
– 2 pinches kosher salt
– 2 pinches black pepper
-1 recipe White Bean Hummus (See below.)
– 1/3 cup caramelized onions
– 1 medium tomato, chopped
-2 vegan sausages, chopped
– 1 1/2 bunches arugula leaves, well washed and dried
-2 tablespoons bottled balsamic vinaigrette
-1 clove roasted garlic, chopped
One hour prior to cooking, place a baking stone in the oven and preheat it to 500 degrees F.
Roll out 1 pizza round as thinly as possible. Place it on a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover the surface with 1 teaspoon oil and 1 pinch each salt and pepper. Be sure to leave an outer lip of 1 inch all the way around.
Evenly spread half the hummus over the dough. Top with half the caramelized onions, tomatoes, and sausage.
Shake the paddle lightly and slide the pizza onto the baking stone. Bake until browned, 6 to 7 minutes. While pizza is baking, whisk together the dressing and roasted garlic clove. Toss the arugula in the dressing to coat. After pizza has been removed from the oven, evenly cover with 1/2 the arugula mixture.
Repeat with the remaining dough.
White Bean Hummus
– 2 cups cooked white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
– 3 cloves roasted garlic, finely chopped
– 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
– 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Place the beans and garlic in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth. While the machine is running, gradually add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.