Creamed Peas and Tuna on Toast
-1 8 oz. package Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced (or other mushrooms of your choice)
-2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
-2 1/2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
-1/2 sweet onion, chopped
-1 clove minced garlic
-2 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon dried herbs of your choice (I like Penzey’s Green Goddess blend)
-1 cup fresh peas, blanched
-2 tins good quality tuna (I like Italian)
-8 slices 100% whole wheat bread, toasted
-Chopped parsley, optional for garnish
1. Saute mushrooms in a pan coated with cooking spray until softened and browned, remove from pan.
2. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over low until hot, but not scalded or boiling.
3. Meanwhile, heat butter or olive oil in a medium nonstick pan and saute onions and garlic until onion is translucent. Whisk in the flour and whisk constantly for 2 minutes taking care not to let the flour brown.
4. Whisk in the hot milk at once and continue to whisk to break up any lumps of flour. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to a simmer. Whisk continuously as sauce thickens to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom. Cook until the sauce has thickened to the consistency of cream, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in herbs, salt, peas, and tuna until all ingredients are well distributed.
6. Serve over toast and garnish with parsley if desired.