Cashew Banana-Crusted Tofu Nuggets with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup banana chips, chopped
- 1 cup cashews, chopped
- 1 pound extra firm firm or enriched extra firm tofu, frozen and then defrosted
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 dash chayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 400?F.
For Tofu Nuggets:
1. Wrap the block of tofu in a clean, lint-free towel, place it in a colander, and place the colander in the sink. Place a plate over the towel-covered tofu, them a heavy can or other weight on top, and leave to press for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the tofu from the towel, cut into 1-inch cubes, and set aside. Lightly oil (or spray with a light mist of oil) a non-stick cookie sheet and set aside.
3. Combine flour, salt, paprika, and pepper, stirring well to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, combine soy milk, lemon juice/vinegar, dijon mustard, and flax in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In a third bowl, combine the banana chips and macadamia nuts.
4. Dip tofu cubes into flour mixture, then soy milk mixture, and finally the banana chip-macadamia nut mixture.
5. Place the tofu cubes on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes per side, or until crispy and golden. Serve with Apricot dipping sauce.
1. Combine apricot preserves, dijon mustard and cayenne pepper.