Banana-Chocolate Chip Bars
Adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
Yields one 9×13 inch pan bars
– 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks, 6 oz) unsalted butter
– 1 1/4 cups (9 3/8 oz) packed light brown sugar
– 3 bananas, very ripe, mashed
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 large egg
– 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
– 1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
– 1 cup (4 oz) chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan.
Cream the butter and sugar in a medium bowl till smooth. Beat the bananas, lemon juice, vanilla, baking powder, salt and spices, scraping the bowl. Add the egg, beating until smooth and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl again. Stir in the flour, mixing thoroughly. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes; it’ll thicken a bit as it stands. Sprinkle the chips and nuts on top.
Bake the squares until the center is moist but not liquid, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove them from oven and let cool on a rack. For best texture, allow them to rest overnight, covered, before cutting and serving.