Whopper Blondies

by Kelly on September 1, 2011

Inevitably when August is over and September rolls in I’ve had my fill of summer. I’m ready to say goodbye to mosquito bites and humidity and say hello to apple picking, crisp evenings, and of course, baking projects.  I know I should stay in the moment, embracing summer rather than wishing it away, but fall being my season of choice, I will admit I can’t wait to usher it in.

And this week I did (albeit a bit early) with a little baking project.

Malted Blondies-1

I decided to whip up a batch of blondies to bring to an appetizer and cocktail party at a girlfriend’s house, but not just any blondies.  These blondies feature a rich, buttery dough punctuated with malt powder and generous handfuls of crushed Whoppers in addition to the more typical chocolate chips.

Malted Blondies-2The result is a sumptuous treat that’s perfect for tucking into a lunchbox or enjoying with a hot cup of tea.

Thanks to this recipe, I’m also now certifiably addicted to putting Whoppers in baked goods.  I’ve been thinking they would also be fantastic in the Brownie Cookies I made recently or perhaps the Compost Cookies I made in the spring for the National Food Blogger Bake Sale.  Of course, if you’ve never tried Whoppers in a baked good before, this recipe is the perfect place to start.

Whopper Blondies
Adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
Yields about 24 bars

-2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons malted milk powder
-14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes
-1 3/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
-2 large eggs
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-3/4 cup malted milk balls (like Whoppers or Maltesers), coarsely chopped in a food processor
-3/4 cup (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and malted milk powder together.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until completely combined. Scrape down the bowl, add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined.

Add the flour mixture in two batches until just combined. Add the malted milk balls and chocolate chips and beat until just combined, about 10 seconds. The mixture will be thick. Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and use an offset spatula to spread it evenly.

Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the blondie comes out clean.

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. These blondies taste delicious warm. Cut them into squares and serve with ice cream. They also taste great at room temperature. Once thoroughly cooled, cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.

What are your favorite candies to bake with?

Kate @ FittingintotheWindyCity.com September 1, 2011 at 7:51 am

I must say that your blog has become one of my favorites to pop up on my google reader, never dissapoints! These look amazing, and might just be perfect to take on my party trolley event this weekend!!

Blog is the New Black September 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

LOVE whoppers! These sounds amazing!

Lizzy September 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Whoppers bring me back to my childhood!!! Yum!!! And yes, I would love for you to send me restaurant recs!!!

shannon September 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

fall is my favorite, too, but i can’t get excited quite yet–i’m not ready for summer to end! my dad loves whoppers, so these would be a perfect treat for him!

Rivki Locker September 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Love the looks of these. And I think your addiction (certifiable, wow!) is impressive. Whoppers are a very good thing.

newlywed September 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm

These look and sound delicious!

Carolyn Jung September 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Blondies filled with crushed Whoppers? Oh my gosh. It’s a good thing these aren’t really in front of me now or I’d be lunging at them — big-time.

Hannah September 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

I really love the flavor of malt, and it kills me that there’s no way for me to make these beauties! Gotta work on making a vegan malt ball first… But it would be worth the effort, because those blondies really do look killer.

Reeni September 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Your whopper blondies look dreamy! I don’t think I ever baked with whoppers. M&m’s and PB cups are my favorites but I need to step outside of that.

5 Star Foodie September 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Such yummy blondies, they sound awesome with malted milk powder and malted milk balls!

Sippitysup September 5, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This made me laugh, food with a lot of unattached just has to be delicious. GREG

Sippitysup September 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I meant to say “This made me laugh, food with a lot of fun attached just has to be delicious.” GREG

The Duo Dishes September 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

There are so many folks who love Whoppers. Just had a great malted ice cream with huge pieces of the candy inside. Great idea to add them to a buttery blondie!

Nurit - 1 family. friendly. food. September 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I love summer but I do miss operating my oven for some baking and long winter braises.

Patti at Camp Blogaway September 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm

OK, this is just ToOOO fun for words. On my to-do list for the next “you bring the dessert” meetup. Great job.

RebeccaC September 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm

My goodness do these sound good. I have a weak spot for whoopers. Yum.

Hannah September 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Oh man, this is pure torture! Vegan malt balls are one of the few things that haven’t yet been created, and I do love malt so. I really must start working on that one, asap!