Sun Dried Tomato-Feta Dip

by Kelly on September 6, 2011

I am unapologetically a girl who loves cheese.
Murray's Cheese-1

Goat cheeses, Bloomy Rind Cheeses, Chocolate Covered Cheeses.  There are few cheeses I’ve met that I dislike, though I admit there are a select few that aren’t exactly my favorites.  Feta cheese happens to be one of those cheeses.  In the 3+ years I’ve had this blog I’ve only featured two recipes that included feta: Pasta Baked in Yogurt and Artichoke, Spinach, and Feta Stuffed Shells.  I know I’m in the minority in the food blogging world for thinking so, but I’m not a huge fan.  With its crumbly texture and its briny punch it just doesn’t hold a candle for me to a creamy Brie or a piquant blue.

But I will admit that in the right recipe, like this Sun Dried Tomato-Feta Dip, feta rocks.

Feta Sundried Tomato Dip-1This dip begins with a simple base of greek yogurt and cream cheese flavored by sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, basil, garlic, and of course, feta cheese.  In this case, its salty-savory bite works to its advantage, balancing out the sweetness of the tomatoes and the richness of the cream cheese.

Feta Sundried Tomato Dip-2It’s the kind of dip that makes a feta lover out of even a skeptic like me.  It’s as perfect spread on a sandwich (I know from personal experience it is fantastic when paired with fresh mozzarella slices and heirloom tomatoes on wheat bread) as it is as a vegetable dipper.  I’ve already made it twice in the past couple of weeks as an easy appetizer option.  It’s so rich, creamy and flavorful that no one will know that all you had to do is dump a bunch of ingredients in the food processor.

Sun Dried Tomato-Feta Dip
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Yields about 2 cups

-1 8-ounce tub whipped cream cheese spread
-1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used 2% fat)
-3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
-2 tablespoons (packed) chopped fresh basil
-7-ounces feta cheese, crumbled
-1/3 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes

Place cream cheese, yogurt, pine nuts, basil and garlic in processor. Blend, using on/off turns, until combined. Add feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes and blend, using on/off turns, until combined but still chunky. Transfer spread to bowl. (Feta-pine nut spread can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

I rarely meet a cheese I dislike – feta included! This dip looks and sounds delicious. Perfect for the end of summer.

Renee September 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

This looks delicious! And beautiful pictures….as always! I do love feta, but it has to be the right type, the right amount and with the right foods. It would definitely not be my first cheese choice though. Have you tried Bulgarian Feta yet? It has a smoothness that other fetas don’t. It is all I will use now!

shannon September 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm

oh wow, this sounds fantastic!! i have recently been turned on to a really good feta 🙂 ymmmm…

Neil | Butterfield September 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm

This does sound awesome. I too love cheese, however am not as adventurous as you are. I do love feta cheese though and will be sure to try this out.

Kelly September 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Lauren – I agree. This feels very end of summery to me.

Renee- I have not tried Bulgarian Feta. I’ll have to be more open minded and give it a try. I have to admit I have not been particularly adventurous in the fetas I’ve tried because they are generally just not my thing, but I really should keep trying anyway.

Shannon – It is fantastic and I bet with a really good feta, it would be even better.

5 Star Foodie September 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm

A delicious combination of sun dried tomatoes and feta! I like the addition of pine nuts too!

Carolyn Jung September 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I didn’t realize you were not a big fan of feta. Oh, I love the stuff. Adds such a wonderful salty, sharp taste to everything from salads to pasta to burgers.

Jenn Sutherland September 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Oh my – what gorgeous beauty shots of cheese! You had me drooling at the cheese case, but that feta dip looks amazing…and I love that you balanced the decadence of the dip with some crisp sliced cucumbers.

kitchenbelle September 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

I love how much you love cheese. The first photo is pretty amazing! What an assortment!!!

Reeni September 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Everything about this makes my heart beat a little faster! This is like a cream cheese spread on overdrive. Completely irresistible and delicious!

Joe September 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I don’t see garlic in the ingredients list…

Kelly September 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Oh no, that is an unfortunate omission. I am so sorry about that. It should call for 1 clove of garlic. I’ll update it.