I know I said I was ready for fall. Still, I’m having one of those be careful what you wish for moments. The cold chill seemed to have set in a little early and at first I was loving it, but now I find I’m missing certain trappings of summer. It’s a little harder to blog now that I don’t have my couple extra hours of sunlight. And dressing for work takes a little longer now that I’ve had to switch over from the effortless dresses of summer to actual coordinating outfits of pants and tops. So now I’ve decided I wouldn’t mind if summer hung around a little bit longer and given that it reached 82 degrees this weekend, I’m hopeful the warm weather could be back for a little while.. And since the official last day of summer is September 22, we do have a little more time.
With that spirit in mind, I offer up a recipe that puts one of my favorite crops of summer, sweet corn, to good use along with a fun giveaway sponsored by Stonyfield Farm. I’ll get to that in a minute, but first, the food.
I folded my corn into a savory pancake made extra light and moist by whipping the egg whites and adding a generous portion of ricotta cheese. I loved how the egg whites made these unbelievably airy while the cheese added a certain moistness, both perfect contrasts to the lightly crisp exterior. I also included scallions and jalapenos to round out the flavor and add the slightest hint of heat. I adorned mine simply with sour cream and salsa, but I’ve also been thinking these would be fantastic with some chili on top (these now have me daydreaming of a batch of my Beef, Pumpkin and Mushroom Chili) or perhaps some of my Pulled Pork with Honey-Cider BBQ Sauce.
Adapted from The Kitchn and Sunset
-1 cup ricotta cheese
-1/2 cup cornmeal (I used blue cornmeal, hence the slightly cooler hue of the cake, but you could most certainly use regular)
-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon sugar
-3 eggs, divided
-3/4 cup milk
-1/2 cup fresh corn
-2 tablespoons chopped scallions
Set ricotta in a fine mesh strainer about 30 minutes before you start cooking, to drain off excess liquid. I used some hand dipped ricotta from Whole Foods that was pretty dry, but moisture content will vary by brand.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Combine ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Beat the egg whites in an electric mixer until stiff. Add the dry ingredients to the ricotta and milk mixture, stirring gently until just combined. Whisk in a small amount of the egg whites to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining whites.
Heat a griddle over medium-high heat, and brush the surface with butter. Use a ladle or measuring scoop (we used a 1/3 cup measure) to pour batter onto the griddle. Cook pancakes for about 3 or 4 minutes, then flip, cooking until both sides are golden brown.
And now on to the giveaway…
One lucky winner will receive a fun gift pack of summer goodies including:
- Two coupons for Stonyfield Frozen Yogurt Bars in two delicious flavors: Gotta Have Vanilla, and After Dark Chocolate. These bars, made with organic milk, are dipped in rich dark chocolate, and contain four live and active cultures. (Note: I wanted to get a chance to sample these before announcing the giveaway, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to find them in the Chicago-area yet, but have been patiently looking since they sound fantastic.)
- Badger After-Sun Balm: A certified organic treat for sun-parched skin. Made with moisturizing plant butters and infused with soothing Blue Tansy and Lavender to make your skin feel smooth and leave you feeling calm.
- Dr. Hauschka Melissa Day Cream: This new 100% natural moisturizer is perfect for combination skin. Formulated with extracts of melissa (lemon balm), it smells like fresh squeezed lemonade. Additionally, extracts of anthyllis, carrot, witch hazel and English daisy soothe, soften and even the complexion so shine is controlled and skin is moisturized.
- Tom’s of Maine: Simply White, the first and only clinically proven natural whitening toothpaste to earn an ADA seal, helps bring back the natural beauty of your smile. The Daily Moisture Body Bar has an ultra-rich bar soap formula that contains premium moisturizing olive oil, natural vitamin E and leaves your skin clean and fresh. Beautiful Earth Deodorant works to inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria and its natural, refreshing fragrance helps mask odor
- Uncle Matt’s Organic Lemonade and Juices: By buying Uncle Matt’s fresh fruit and juice you’re helping more than 20 small growers that make up their family of farms. That’s one of the reasons they’re proud to be family owned and organically grown. Use this free coupon to pick up your choice of organic juice or lemonade and quench your thirst for summer!
Want to win? Leave a comment telling me what summer dish you’ll miss most once fall rolls in.
For more entries*:
1. Tweet about this giveaway (I am @cupcakeartist)
2. Follow me on twitter
3. Mention this giveaway on your blog, twitter, or Facebook
4. Add me to your blogroll or RSS/blog reader
*Please be sure to come back here and leave another comment for each additional entry telling me what you did. (i.e. If you tweet about this and add me to your blogroll, come back and add a separate comment for each.)
I’ll be accepting entries now through 11:59 pm Thursday, September 15.