Pizza with Egg, Bacon, and Goat Cheese

by Kelly on February 23, 2011

Those who know me know I’m always up for a good challenge so when the fabulous Natasha of 5 Star Foodie asked if I would like to participate in the new 2011 5 Star Makeover hosted by her and Lazaro of Lazaro Cooks! it took me only a moment to say yes.  This month’s challenge – to create our own take on the classic pairing of bacon and eggs.  As I often do when planning a menu, I toyed with various ideas.  I considered making ravioli with an egg yolk hiding amongst its filling.  I thought about an upscale breakfast sandwich or a twist on egg salad.  But eventually I had an idea that stuck.  I knew I wanted to recreate a pizza I had on my 2008 trip to San Francisco.  The crispy gem was topped with prosciutto, cheese, and an egg.  Rich and lightly decadent, it was the perfect treat after a long day of sightseeing in cool fall weather.

Pizza with Egg, Bacon and Goat Cheese

This Pizza with Egg, Bacon, and Goat Cheese is my version.  I start with my favorite crust base and top it with a homemade creamy goat cheese spread, paper-thin slices of tomato, crunchy bacon (home cured and smoked I might add), and a bit of Parmesan cheese.  The pizza goes into the oven for a preliminary bake to make for a crispy crust and molten cheese before being topped with an egg and return to the oven just until the white is set.  The yolk, still pleasantly liquid runs when cut making a sumptuous sauce for the whole pizza.  The result is pretty fantastic and perfect when accompanied by a mixed green salad.

Pizza with Egg, Bacon and Goat Cheese-2

Pizza with Egg, Bacon, and Goat Cheese
Serves 2

-Cooking spray
-1/2 recipe pizza dough
-4 ounces chevre (fresh goat cheese)
-2 teaspoons olive oil
-1 tablespoon milk
-1/2 teaspoon Tuscan seasoning
-4 thin slices tomato
-3 slices, thick cut bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
-2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
-1 egg

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray and spread out the dough on the pan using your hands or a rolling pin. (I like to coat whichever I am using with some of the cooking spray to make it easier to roll out.)

Add the chevre, olive oil, milk, and Tuscan seasoning to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is smooth. Spread over the crust. Top with sliced tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is lightly golden and crispy. Crack egg in the center of the pizza and place in the oven for an additional 5 minutes until egg is cooked, but yolk is still soft. To serve, cut slice and serve while hot and yolk is runny.

Thanks again to my wonderful hosts for putting together this great challenge and check out their blogs at the end of the week to see a roundup of what everyone came up with!

Recipe Roundup
March 7, 2011 at 7:28 am
Lobster Salad Stuffed Arepas
March 31, 2011 at 1:24 am
Duck and Date Meatballs
January 26, 2012 at 11:23 pm

5 Star Foodie February 24, 2011 at 8:25 am

Your egg & bacon pizza sounds fantastic, love the creamy goat cheese here in combination with crispy bacon & that perfect looking egg on top! Thank you so much for participating!

Bethany February 24, 2011 at 8:47 am

Ah, I love this! Goat cheese on pizza is one of my very favorite things, and the whole runny yolk idea sounds just perfect. Well done!

Kelly February 24, 2011 at 12:52 pm

5 Star Foodie – Thanks. It really is a good pizza, the combination is lovely and made me question why I haven’t done this more often.

Bethany – Thanks. I too LOVE goat cheese on pizza. Sometimes I’ll do it more like dollops but this time I liked the spread effect. It added a bit more moisture and kept it from drying out in the oven and with the egg, it was like a breakfast sandwich in pizza form. Mmmm.

Debi (Table Talk) February 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I’m having fun looking at how different all of the submissions have turned out! Pizza with goat cheese will always get my attention, but with bacon and egg it’s even better! Glad to have discovered your blog through this event~

Lauren February 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I love your take on bacon and eggs for the challenge! Very creative, and I bet insanely delicious as well.

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm

First of all, what a fun challenge!

Secondly, I think you just made a dream I didn’t even know I had come true.

Angela@spinachtiger February 24, 2011 at 9:43 pm

That looks amazing with all the different textures, chewy crust, runny egg. Love it.

Jennifer- Adventuresome Kitchen February 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m sighing rapturously as I read this. The pizza sounds incredible- great for brunch, lunch, or dinner! What great flavors! I love that you made your own goat cheese and bacon too! I’ve made goat cheese, but never smoked my own bacon- kudos to you!

Christy February 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Yum! Breakfast?

deana@lostpastremembered February 25, 2011 at 7:05 am

I can’t think of a better pizza for brunch… all the best things in the world on a crust. You did a great job with the challenge. Hope you are enjoying my old stomping grounds… Chicago is a great food town!

Daily Spud February 25, 2011 at 7:52 am

Home-cured and smoked bacon, serious hats off for that. As for the pizza, that is always a winner in my book!

Reeni February 25, 2011 at 9:15 am

What a delicious twist on pizza! I have always wondered what eating an egg on pizza is like. I like that you used goat cheese – elevates it to a whole new level!

MAry February 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm

This looks delicious and it is a wonderful idea. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings…Mary

Trix February 26, 2011 at 10:25 am

You don’t even know how much I love a fried egg on a pizza. You are talking straight to my tummy, here … oh slurp.

Marco February 27, 2011 at 3:37 am

I tried to make this recepi….all the ingredients I got….Then in the oven…400 ??? my oven highist temperature in my oven is 250…..Then after a half hour ..OK Stupid 400 is Fahrenheit!…Make the calculation to Celsius…It was a succes

Kerstin February 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm

A breakfast pizza is such a great idea and I love the goat cheese you added!

Carolyn Jung February 27, 2011 at 5:17 pm

My husband would be slobbering right about now. LOL He loves nothing better than a runny egg on top of a crisp, hot pizza.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic February 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This sounds absolutely delicious! I love anything with an
egg on top, and goat cheese and bacon just makes everything better
🙂

Bren February 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm

yes i want some! goat cheese all day for me! yum!!! (only i’d change the bacon for something else) 😉

Lori Lynn February 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Love the free-form shape of your pie. Bet this tasted awesome. Great addition to the event!
LL

Erica February 28, 2011 at 6:48 pm

gah!! This looks amazing!!!! I’m missing goat cheese! I need to find some ultra pasteurized, pregnancy approved goat cheese 🙂 The egg is such a fun touch.

Shannon March 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

this sounds so amazing, and i would LOVE this!! but i’m sort of lusting over the idea of a ravioli with an egg yolk inside…

Jen H March 30, 2011 at 9:13 am

Yum! This sounds delicious, I may have to make it this weekend for brekkie!