Banana & Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt for Dogs

by Kelly on July 15, 2010

Oliver

Once the weather turns hot and humid it’s hard to resist an opportunity to cool off either at the beach or with a sweet treat.  My dog Oliver is not one to pass up either.  He especially LOVES frozen yogurt for dogs.  (Although I haven’t known him to turn down many treats.)  He adores Yöghund, but at $6.99 for a four pack it’s a bit pricy.

Peanut butter banana frozen yogurt2

So I set out to create a copycat recipe of its dog-friendly Banana & Peanut Butter frozen yogurt.

Peanut butter banana frozen yogurt3

I combine fat free plain yogurt, peanut butter, and banana for an easy dog treat recipe Oliver cannot resist.  A quick whirl in the blender and a few hours in the freezer and it’s a dead ringer for his beloved Yöghund. It’s also completely human-friendly as well so if you steal a lick I won’t judge.

Peanut butter banana frozen yogurt

Banana & Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt for Dogs
Yields 6 servings

-12 ounces (I used two 6-ounce containers) fat free plain yogurt
-2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
-1 medium banana

In a blender or food processor puree together all ingredients. Distribute evenly in a 6-cup silicone muffin pan (or alternatively a standard metal muffin pan in which the cups have been lined with plastic wrap for easy removal). Freeze for 6-8 hours until firm and transfer to a freezer-safe storage bag or container.

{ 1 trackback }

Blueberry-Banana Frozen Yogurt for Dogs
December 27, 2010 at 4:51 pm

brandi July 15, 2010 at 9:53 am

What a great idea!

Tasha July 15, 2010 at 10:17 am

I love this idea! I do have a feeling though my peanut butter and banana loving toddler might want them all for himself!

Mary July 15, 2010 at 11:26 am

This really is a great idea. I am a first time visitor to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did. I really like your recipes and the breezy tone of your blog. I’ll be back often. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings…Mary

Kelly July 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

Mary – Thanks for stopping by. I always appreciate first time visitors, especially when they are also bloggers because it gives me something else to add to my google reader. Yours is fanastic as well.

Shannon July 15, 2010 at 11:40 am

fabulous! and i’m bummed i never got to meet oliver–he is such a cutie 🙂

Jenna July 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Oh my goodness, my dog would die and go to heaven if she had one of these. Thanks for the great recipe for doggies. 🙂

Liz July 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm

What a great idea! My mom likes to spoil her granddog and has started giving him pup ice cream, but I know they’re quite expensive. This is a much better alternative and probably healthier, too. Irving thanks you 🙂

Kelly July 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Liz – My parents are the same way (and so am I for that matter). I agree they are SO expensive, but I guess they know there are people like me who will spend impulsively on their pets. 🙂

River - The Crafty Kook July 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Oliver is such a cutie patootie! This is so clever, I will tell my mother in law about it. Her puppy gets so hot and miserable even if he’s only outside for a minute! Maybe if he didn’t run around like a mad dog he wouldn’t get so hot! 😀

I am so glad you’re still reading Wing-It! It feels great to be back! 🙂

Dennis August 10, 2010 at 11:40 am

Went looking online for a healthy frozen dog treat that I could make for myself, and found this recipe. Made these for our boy last night, and he practically swallowed them whole. Thanks for the great recipe.

Kelly August 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Dennis – Glad you liked them. I have another yoghund copycat recipe coming. My dog feels the same way, and so much less expensive than the store-bought ones.

Joelle September 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I mix yogurt with mashed potato and put it in a medium Kong, then freeze overnight. My Sealyham Terrior loves this!

Joelle September 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I meant mashed banana, lol, I’m cooking potato soup right now!

Kelly September 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Joelle, if it were mashed sweet potato, I think that sounds good as well. In fact, I was thinking of doing an updated version with sweet potato as it is one ingredient my dog loves.

Yess August 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm

What If I have the plain yogurt but is regular can I still use it or it has to be none fat? Thanks!!!

heather May 2, 2014 at 5:28 pm

thanks for this recipe! yoghund is now charging 9 bucks a 4pack. What a rip!