Green Eggs and Ham Frittata

by Kelly on June 16, 2010

green eggs and ham frittata

This summer I’m trying my hand at container gardening for the second time.  Baby greens, a serrano chile plant, mint, chives, dill, cilantro, stevia, and three varieties of basil grace my front porch while three tomato plants bloom on the back porch.  I’m coming to realize  I am quite the impatient gardener.  I inspect the plants everyday looking for any new growth or developments.  Although all my plants have been springing up like growing children, there is still only one tiny tomato growing.  I peek each day, hoping to see another, but to no avail.  Tomatoes have always been one of my favorite foods so waiting for them to grow is a bit like a kid standing impatiently in the kitchen while cookies brown in the oven.  I have no patience, already imagining the delicious Panzanella and Tomato Tarts I will turn out in my kitchen.  Maybe I’ll even turn into my mother’s father and eat one straight from my hand with nothing more than a little salt and pepper to accentuate its flavor.

If you’re restless for summer tomatoes, green tomatoes are a great teaser.  I showcased them already in my Oven Fried Green Tomatoes, but wanted to do something different with the few green tomatoes that remained.  Surveying the ingredients in my refrigerator, a frittata seemed like a natural.  It’s incredibly easy to make, yet amazingly satisfying.  I paired the thinly sliced green tomatoes with sliced ham, green onions, and some cranberry-jalapeno cheddar cheese from Carr Valley I found in the Whole Foods cheese case.  I’ve been on a bit of a flavored cheese kick ever since I tried a Monterey Jack flavored with Mushrooms and Onions at the farmers’ market.  Much like that variety, this one doesn’t disappoint.  Purists would definitely disagree, but I loved the subtle sweetness and tang from the cranberries and the heat from the peppers.  It makes for a great everyday eating and cooking cheese and added nice flavor to this frittata.  However, if you cannot find it where you live regular cheddar with an additional dash of red pepper flakes or some minced jalapenos to provide a little heat.  Regardless, this dish is fantastic.  Baking mellows the flavors of the green tomatoes which pair well with the ham and cheese.

Green Eggs and Ham Frittata
Serves 2

-4 eggs
-2 tablespoons half and half
-PInch each salt and pepper
-Cooking spray
-2 green onions, sliced
-2 ounces black forest ham, roughly chopped
-1/4 cup shredded cranberry-jalapeno cheddar cheese, or regular shredded cheddar with a dash of red pepper flakes for heat if desired
-1/4 cup thinly sliced green tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat eggs, half and half, salt and pepper together until well combined and some air has been incorporated.

Grease a 9-inch round ceramic dish or oven proof skillet with cooking spray. Pour in egg mixture and arrange remaining ingredients over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center is set. Cut into 4 wedges.

{ 1 trackback }

Tweets that mention Green Eggs and Ham Frittata -- Topsy.com
June 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Lauren June 16, 2010 at 6:42 am

I always forget how delicious and easy frittatas are – I really should make them more often for a light & tasty summer dinner.

The cranberry-jalapeno cheddar sounds amazing!

Sophie @ yumventures June 16, 2010 at 8:13 am

This looks great! I love how easy frittatas are, but sometimes its hard to come up with creative ingredients. These tomatoes look delicious!

CaSaundra June 16, 2010 at 8:38 am

I love the looks of this–anything that contains eggs is a thumbs up in my book! I wish I could have a garden, and if I chose to, I’d have to do a container one as well, so I am anxious to hear how yours turns out.

Cara June 16, 2010 at 10:46 am

It’s still early for tomatoes, be patient! Just kidding, I know exactly how you feel. And the best remedy I can think of is probably not the most convenient: go away for two weeks and pray for good weather, and you will come back to a garden full of surprises (at least, that’s how I felt when we just got back from vacation, it was so fun to see the growth!)

I’m really curious about what you’ll do with the stevia plant. I saw some transplants available and though about planting one, but I have no idea how to use the raw leaves.

Kelly June 16, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Lauren – I know. Me too. People always seem very impressed by them but in actuality they are much easier to make than omlettes, at least in my book.

Sophie – I find that my most creative ones happen when I just need to clean out the refrigerator!

CaSaundra – I’m hoping it will turn out well. I had a slight hiccup when two plants died on me, but am now doing better.

Cara- I know it is still early but somehow I am still impatient. :-( I sampled one of the leaves off the stevia plant at the farmers’ market and I’m thinking it would be good with mint in a fruit salad.

Carolyn Jung June 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I am exactly like that, too! I have three tomato plants, and every morning, I go out and peek at them, hoping to see some little orbs starting to bloom. So far, I have the makings of maybe six tiny tomatoes. But the sad part is that one of the plants has NOTHING but leaves on it. Sigh. I’ll hope for the best that it’s a late bloomer and that I’ll eventually see at least one tomato on it. ;)

Sues June 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm

These are totally my kind of green eggs!! It looks amazing! And I definitely need to get my hands on some of that cranberry-jalapeno cheese. I’m sadly not doing any gardening, but I’m really looking forward to going to my dad’s garden and stealing lots and lots of tomatoes and herbs!

5 Star Foodie June 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm

A pairing of green tomatoes, ham and cheese sounds terrific in this delicious frittata!

Bethany June 18, 2010 at 7:14 am

YUM frittatas are a staple around here — you can always throw them together and they are always satisfying!

I’m growing some herbs and peppers too and I am like an anxious parent — always worried about how the kids are doing. Do they get enough sun? TOO much sun? Is it too dry??? Too wet???? :)

Let’s definitely do brunch again — this time I’ll come to your area!

Shannon June 18, 2010 at 8:52 am

ooh, this looks delicious! you know, i have only tried pickled green tomatoes! good luck with the container garden, i wish i had the space and a green thumb :) someday!

Kerstin June 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Mmm, I love this flavor combo! We planted herbs and tomatoes on our balcony too and I’m so excited about it.