Garlic Scape and Gruyere Biscuits

by Kelly on June 25, 2010

The web is full of recipes to make with garlic scapes.  For an ingredient I didn’t know existed until last year, cooks all over the world seem to have come up with a pleathora of fun ways to use it.  Many of them are the kind of recipes that epidomize summer cooking: simple, fresh, and clean.  They are the kind of recipes that call for little added fat or carbs so you can feel extra confident slipping into a clingy summer dress or barely-there bikini.

Don’t hate me, but this is not one of those recipes.  While there is definitely part of me that feels great when I’m eating healthy, as if a part of me is a bit lighter, I also have a dose of inner Paula Dean, maybe even a bigger dose than I might normally admit.  I may not use anywhere near as much butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, whip cream, or cheese as she does, but every once and awhile I find myself thinking an ingredient would  be just a bit better with some butter.  Or cheese.  Such was the case with my garlic scapes.  As soon as I saw them I couldn’t help but think they would be fabulous chopped up and stirred into some cheesy biscuits.  I tried to get myself excited about simpler preparations – stir-fried garlic scapes, garlic scape pesto, garlic scape vinaigrette, but all I could think about was biscuits.

Garlic scape and gruyere biscuitsI’m glad I listened to my inner voice because these were lovely.  Gruyere cheese give them a heavy dose of nutty, sophisticated cheese flavor and a beautfiul golden top, while the garlic scapes at a light garlicly, vegetal flavor and even a tad bit of bite.   They are great as is with just a small pat of butter, or as an accompaniment to a summer salad.  If you wanted to take them over the top you could even use it as the base for an amazing breakfast sandwich with a layer of fluffy scrambled eggs and some early summer tomatoes inside. No garlic scapes? These would also be fantastic with chives or caramelized onions, but really, what isn’t better with caramelized onions?

Garlic Scape and Gruyere Biscuits
Yields 14 biscuits
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma

-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
-1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
-1/4 cup chopped garlic scapes
-3/4 cup buttermilk
-2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the cold butter and, using a pastry blender or your fingertips, mix the flour and butter together until small, coarse crumbs form. Stir in the cheese and garlic scapes. Add the buttermilk and, using a rubber spatula, stir to form large, moist clumps.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 4 or 5 times, until the dough just holds together. Using floured hands, press the dough together to form a large ball. Roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness, dusting with more flour as needed. Using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out the dough and transfer the rounds to the prepared baking sheet. Gather up the scraps, reroll and cut out more rounds. Brush the tops of the biscuits with the melted butter.

Bake, rotating the pan from front to back halfway through baking, until the biscuits are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 14 biscuits.

can you from the list below select what you think would be a good breakfast?where do you live? | Tea
June 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm
Old-fashioned ice-cream making.
June 26, 2010 at 2:05 am
Garlic Scapes « welldined.com
July 31, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Jessica @ How Sweet June 25, 2010 at 7:07 am

I would love the gruyere biscuits. Gruyere is one of my favorite cheeses!

Ginny June 25, 2010 at 7:30 am

I fully support letting out your inner Paula Dean… so delicious! 🙂

Sophie @ yumventures June 25, 2010 at 8:16 am

Gruyere is by far my favorite cheese, especially cut into chunks and melting at the bottom of a bowl of butternut squash soup! These look great…I’ve never used garlic scrape before!

Sues June 25, 2010 at 8:35 am

These look awesome. I am a BIG BIG biscuit fan 🙂 And the garlic/gruyere combination must be amazing. I’ll definitely have to make these soon!

CaSaundra June 25, 2010 at 9:11 am

I think we all have an inner Paula Deen to tell you the truth! Some just reveal it more than others I suppose. I am a biscuit lover, and working at KFC when I was younger, I fell in love with their biscuits..it’s about the only fast-food thing I will eat. But I’d be willing to give yours a try as well! 🙂

Hannah June 25, 2010 at 11:07 am

Sadly, I’ve never been lucky enough to get my hands on garlic scapes, but I can still imagine how tasty they would be, and especially in this recipe! Though I rarely make biscuits, these definitely sound worthy of a special occasion. If I can hunt down those scapes, it’d be a snap to veganize them.

Kelly June 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

Jessica & Sophie – I absolutely agree. I love gruyere as a cooking cheese. It has so much character and depth of flavor that I am often substituting it for something else.

Sues – I am too! Despite the fact that I never ate many of them as a kid I’ve turned into a huge fan.

CaSaundra – Hehehe. I love it. On one hand the amount of fatty stuff she uses horrifies me, but I can also imagine a lot of it tastes fantastic. It’s always funny to hear about people’s jobs when they were teenagers. My first job was at Dairy Queen.

Kelly June 25, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hannah – No garlic scapes! I’m shocked. If I thought they would survive I would send you a bunch.

Lauren June 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I have yet to try cooking with garlic scapes, but these biscuits look like a great application. Your idea of topping them with eggs and tomatoes has me suddenly craving a nice big breakfast sandwich!

Wendy (The Local Cook) June 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Ooooh yum. I’ve been getting lots of scallions and chives in my CSA share and this would be a perfect recipe.

GarlicBOSS June 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I’m glad you learned about garlic scapes, because this is a wonderful recipe!

Carolyn Jung June 25, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Gruyere is one of my all-time fave cheeses, too. I could eat it in anything. If you put a plate of these biscuits in front of me, I could do serious damage to it. 😉

Inspired2cook June 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm

These look & sound delicious!

Esi June 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I’m obsessed with trying to find garlic scapes in California. So far, I’ve been unlucky, but I’ll keep looking. The biscuits sound great!

Debbie August 25, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I love gruyere and have been looking to try out some different biscuit flavors, but I just had to google what a garlic scape is…I assume you chop the top like a green onion? Thanks!

Sarah @ Well Dined July 26, 2013 at 7:55 am

Oh. My. Goodness. I have made these twice this year already! Once with garlic scapes and once with chives. So amazing. I also used goat butter (aka the most delicious butter ever) in mine. Check out my blog for more info!

Sarah January 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Thank-you for this recipe. It is divine. I found garlic scapes at the market and wondered what I could make with them, as I had never seen them before. I made these biscuits last week-end to go with cheese souffle for a bit of a fancy pants lunch with 2 of my sisters and we all enjoyed them immensely. I did find the dough very sticky at the start and as it needed quite a bit of extra flour, I might just add a bit more at the beginning next time. It seemed like an awfully excessive amount of butter was in them but they were fantastic. Yum.