Malt Shop Inspired Grub…Veganized

by Kelly on October 29, 2008

One of the many things I have learned this month is that vegan food can just as easily be indulgent as healthy. It would probably be better for my waistline if it was always the latter, but alas a girl cannot survive on greens and sprouts alone (although I do quite like both).
It was with this spirit of indulgence that I created what I consider my most ambitious vegan meal to date: a veggie burger with cheese for my entree and dairy-free ice cream for dessert. I realize that at face value this meal does not seem ambitious at all. Perhaps you are envisioning a Boca Burger on a bakery bun and a bowl of Soy Dream ice cream? Well, actually everything on the menu (save for the ketchup) tonight was 100% homemade right down to the whole wheat hamburger buns and colby cheeze. (For those of my readers who are new to vegan cooking I should mention that spelling cheese as “cheeze” is a common convention when referring to dairy-free cheeses. I would hate for my mother and grandparents in particular to think that so much was spent on my college education without me picking up any proficiency in spelling.) I made a batch of Triple Mushroom Burgers from Vegetarian Burgers and topped them with Colby Cheeze from The Uncheese Cookbook, lettuce, tomato and ketchup and served them on Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns from the Bakingsheet blog (now Baking Bites). And because no malt shop meal would be complete without some sort of sweet treat I ended the meal with homemade Green Tea Ice Cream from Veganomicon.

The whole meal was delicious and hit the spot. The star of tonight was surprisingly the homemade cheeze! While you cannot tell from the picture, it was very melty and gooey. It was also wonderfully flavorful and reminded me a bit of Velveeta. A reviewer of The Uncheeze Cookbook on Amazon mentioned combining it with a little soy milk to make macaroni and cheeze, so that may have to be my next venture. It makes me excited to try more recipes from this cookbook and to try the Colby Cheeze recipe again with different tweaks of the flavoring. Have a good night everyone. I’m exhausted from all this cooking and baking and need some sleep.

havecakewilltravel.com October 29, 2008 at 3:57 am

sleep tight!
I love the Uncheese Cookbook, so many treasures in that book.

Elina October 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Wow, this looks incredible! I’m very impressed :D

Ricki October 29, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Both look terrific! I’ve got the Uncheese Cookbook but have never tried the Colby–but if it actually melts, heck, must give it a try :)

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Havecakewilltravel – I know. It really is a gem. I was super impressed with how the cheeze turned out.
Elina – Thank you. :-)
Ricki – Yes, it melts beautifully. It didn’t look like that when it first came out of the oven because it had a bit of a crust on top but after biting into my burger it was very gooey.

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies October 29, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I need to get the Uncheese Cookbook! I looked at it a few times, and decided each time not to buy it. You’ve changed my mind!!!

Jes October 29, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Whoa! That meal looks great! I do love a good veggie burger when I can find one!

For the Love of Guava October 29, 2008 at 3:42 pm

mm… I haven’t done home-made veggie burgers in awhile… I might have to roll up my sleeves and get to chopping after that!! And that cheeze… seriously… dairiliciously divine looking!!! [smacking lips... and wiping away drool.. in front of work computer] :)

lazysmurf October 29, 2008 at 3:43 pm

great job that looks so perfect! I really want to try the ice cream.

I made the grilled cheeze from the uncheese book last week and it was really yummy. But then I mixed the leftovers with other leftover cashew ricotta from the Veganomicon and it was the best mac & cheeze ever.

Did I mention that I really want a bite of your ice cream?….Please?

Jeni Treehugger October 29, 2008 at 4:20 pm

That all looks so yummy!
I need to get that book too…another one to the list.
Anyone who makes their own ice-cream is a goddess in my book.

Lacey Nicole October 29, 2008 at 4:32 pm

i’m collecting veggie burger recipes! because i live off them. i have only tried my hand at making them once, but it’s on the to-do list! i actually laughed out loud because your “so you thought” description of the boca burger on bread with soy dream ice cream= my LIFE!!! hahahahha. i need to start cooking. hmm. :)

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Lisa – I think it’s completely worth it, although to be fair this is the only recipe I’ve tried. I know now that The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook is on the market, but I am not sure about how it compares to the original. There are also some great reviews on Amazon about which of the book’s recipes are worth it and which aren’t, which was how I came to choose the Colby Cheeze recipe to experiment with.

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Jes – Thank you. I agree. I love veggie burgers. I find them more flavorful and satisfying than the meat kind and best of all, they don’t leave me feeling weighted down afterwards. I was so excited to find a book all about vegetarian burgers and plan on trying a recipe for cashew burgers sometime soon.

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 6:29 pm

For the Love of Guava – Thank you. The cheeze really was amazing. I can’t stop my mind from thinking of other ways to use it.

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 6:30 pm

lazysmurf – Glad to know the grilled cheese recipe was yummy. I have one for a luna melt that I’ve been meaning to try that sounds amazing. I will have to try that cashew ricotta recipe. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Jeni – Thanks. I will take a compliment like that anyday.

Lacey – I think you will be fantastic at making veggie burgers. There are SO many fabulous recipes out there and many I bet would freeze well so you could make a huge batch and have convenient meals later.

Happy Herbivore! October 29, 2008 at 8:27 pm

I too love the Uncheese Cookbook! One of the best gifts I’ve ever received!

Kelly October 29, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Happy Herbivore – Thanks for stopping by. I’m going to leave a comment on your blog as well, but do you have any favorite recipes?

Happy Herbivore! October 29, 2008 at 9:19 pm

we LOOOOVE the grilled cheese — there are 2 recipes in the book and we prefer the one that uses red bell peppers and more ingredients. I think its called "All American" but I'm not sure. I want to say its pg. 98 but I'm guessing! Oh, we leave out the tahini – its too expensive for us to buy it and I dont like it much anyway… otherwise we follow it exactly.

There is a recipe for knock off Doritos too!

I also had great success with a peanutbutter-chocolate pie – maybe it was a cheesecake, but its a desert in the book. I made it for my husbands birthday last year and everyone loved it.

The only thing we didnt like was the mozzerella but I have to admit that I probably messed it up when I was cooking b/c I was sick and not paying the best of attention.

& not to toot my own horn but you must try my vegan nacho cheese recipe… using the Uncheese taught me some tricks and I was able to invent that recipe that way.

theveganfoodie October 30, 2008 at 1:50 am

Wow that burger looks so good! It makes me want to jump in the screen and eat it!!! I really want to get the uncheese cookbook to try a couple of cheese recipes! I should really make some veggie burgers, my mom said she really likes them. I never tried making them.

Kelly October 30, 2008 at 1:56 am

HH – I posted my thanks on your blog. I cannot wait to try your queso recipe. Mmmmm.
Vegan Foodie – Veggie burgers are definitely worth trying. I think homemade versions are infinitely better. Vegetarian Burgers is a great cookbook and most are vegan or can easily be made so. Vegan Dad’s blog also tends to have recipes like that.

Eesh October 30, 2008 at 2:53 am

Thanks for the cheer up. I do feel much better today.

I LOVE your dinner. I can’t believe I bought that Uncheese cookbook and have never even made anything out of it in all these months! Just looking at that cheeze I was like (oh well another cheeze I won’t be able to buy here) but alas, it is homemade and I have the recipe! Woohoo!

I am very impressed with all of it. Did you use an ice cream maker for the ice cream?

Kelly October 30, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Eesh- OMG you should so make this recipe. It’s really delicious and as a bonus, it melts beautifully in the microwave. I hear you on seeing recipes and then realizing you cannot by the cheese. A lot of people in the blogosphere seem to love teeze and I cannot buy that here. I do have an ice cream maker. It is a special bowl for my stand mixer that I put in the freezer. It’s perfect for me because I don’t have very much space. It works wonderfully.

Neta October 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I’m glad to hear that the cheeze was so good! I might try it myself soon.
And the whole meal looks so yummy!

Kelly October 30, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Neta – I HIGHLY recommend it. It is much easier than I expected to make your own cheeze and while I’ve never had the store bought version so I can’t really compare, it’s quite delicious too!

Happy Herbivore! October 30, 2008 at 3:20 pm

I left a comment to your comment :) I’d try to paste the link to the mayo recipe here but I think its too long and will cut off.

VeganView October 30, 2008 at 3:57 pm

MMMMMmmmm that looks delish! On your question about me making my own veganaise, I have not attempted in fear it will not be like my beloved fave. Do you know any good recipes floating around for one, I know I have seen one on vegan dad…

miss v October 31, 2008 at 12:34 am

holy fo-shizzle. those mushroom burgers are dangerous waist-line material for every vegan!!!

Kelly October 31, 2008 at 2:10 am

HH- Thanks. I’ll have to go to your blog and check it out.
VeganView – I don’t have a recipe, but if I do try one I will let you know.
Miss V – I know! Why does vegan food taste so yummy.

KZ November 4, 2008 at 3:25 am

that looks so darn good. awesome mofo-ing. i miss it :p

Kelly November 5, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Thank you. I miss MoFo too, although I am not going to lie, I was excited to cook with cheese again.

Bethany November 5, 2008 at 10:33 pm

looks amazing. I knew just by looking at it that it was a delicious homemade burger. can’t get one that good from boca.

Yummy! I’ll go to your diner any day.

Kelly November 6, 2008 at 12:06 am

Thank you. I love homemade vegetarian burgers. It makes it feel like summer in October.

theidleloaf November 10, 2008 at 4:22 pm